Two highly respected Business Relationship Managers (BRMs) are sharing their experiences in an easy-to-read article about how business relationship management increases the value of IT.
Some of their worthwhile recommendations are listed below.
To truly optimize the value of IT in the organization by using Business Relationship Management concepts, you must:
- Work with IT leadership to continuously improve IT processes (designed towards speed of business vs. cumbersome governance).
- Ensure value recognition is being tracked and realized.
- Help create and converge business strategy and IT strategy road maps.
- Lead the “demand shaping” of IT project portfolio to coincide with proper strategic priorities.
- Be the voice and representative of IT to explain the why behind decisions, process changes, and other activities with business teams.
- Coach IT leaders and team on how to report out, communicate, and engage business leaders and teams.
- Ensure proper team dynamics for IT projects: for example, that the business is engaged and feels project ownership.
- After building credibility with business leaders, grow the relationship so IT is respected as an equal.
Interested in the whole article? Click on the link below and download the complete article.